- Reduces risks for injury, tones muscles and help gain muscle mass.
- It makes you stronger and leaner. Increases metabolism to burn more calories/fat even at rest and gives you more energy to do long cardio workouts.
- It is extremely helpful to bones and joint. Can reduce risks for osteoporosis. Studies show it helps build and preserve muscle mass lost during aging. One study found that women can take off 10 years by weight training for a year, particularly in women aged 35 to 40 years. (this is generally when women lose bone density and muscle mass)
- It increases balance, stability and flexibility
- It makes you feel better about yourself, improves mood.
All in all, I will be adding weights to my routine, 3 days per week along with cardio. My plan is to warm up for 15 min, lift for 45 min and finish with cardio. It is also important to stretch before and after working out to avoid pulling or straining your muscles.
Thought i would share this info with you.