6.11.2013

Skin Care 101

As someone who suffered from acne as a teen and still dealing with it as an adult, I thought I would share some tips and tricks I've learn over the years. 
 



* Water as well as a balanced diet promotes healthy skin from the inside out. Drinking plenty of water flushes out toxins from the skin and eating plenty of fruits, vegetable and omega-3 fatty acids helps keep the skin youthful and glowing. Drink at least 3 liters per day! Adding pieces of fruit or lemon juice can make water more tolerable. 

* salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide works well on breakouts. Figure out which one works best for your skin type. They can both be drying so start off every other day. Try Aveeno Clear Complexion foaming cleanser or Neutrogena Pink Grapefruit foaming wash 

* exfoliating is key! At least once a week is you have oily skin, to remove dead skin cells that can be clogging your pores. If you have normal to dry skin, use as needed (Weekly or bi-weekly). Try MAC Cosmetics Volcanic Ash Exfoliator or a more affordable option you can make with Extra Virgin Olive oil and brown sugar.  

*invest in a Clairsonic. I got a Clarisionic Mia 2 for Mother's Day this year and it is by far the best thing I have used on my face ever. I noticed improvement in the look and feel of my skin within the first week of use. 

* ALWAYS use a moisturizer. Even if you have oily skin, using a moisturizer will prevent your skin from over producing oil.

* use a toner after washing your face to restore pH balance. Witch hazel is by far the best I've used, it is gentle enough for everyday use. Or you can mix 4 parts water: 1 part Apple Cider vinegar (ACV) it is just as effective for me. 

* facial masks and steaming are probably the best way to keep skin issues in check. I found when I was not steaming my pores or applying a mask my skin was noticeably duller. Steaming helps purge and shrink pores and masks designed for your skin type can address a multitude of issues, like large pores, dullness and moisture levels. I swear by the Freeman Line that can be found at CVS, Walgreens, Target or Ulta. 

* ALWAYS use a sunscreen! Even on a cloudy day, UV rays can cause skin damage. Finding a good moisturizer with sunscreen is ideal. I suggest Aveeno Positively Radiant SPF 30 or Cetaphil Daily Moisturizer w/ SPF 50. 

* Remove makeup prior to washing your face. A good makeup wipe can get off all the makeup so you can properly clean face. I use Equate Exfoliating Wipes found at Walmart. 

* use clean makeup brushes.  If you are someone who wears makeup frequently, washing your hands before applying makeup and keeping your tools clean are a must. Deep clean your brushes weekly, and spot clean daily with a brush cleaner from MAC Cosmetics or ELF. 
 
Additional precautions: 
* avoid touching your face throughout the day. 

* clean cellphone or office phone frequently with alcohol to remove any bacteria. 

* avoid using too much hair products on the hairline. 

 Using these steps I can go weeks without a single break out. Every so often I will get a couple pimples on my chin  caused by hormones but If I am proactive around that time of the month and treat the area before a breakout occur I can get away with out any.  
 

No comments:

www.flickr.com

Hit Counter